Shredded pork, sliced deli ham, Swiss cheese, and dill pickle chips. Layer on loaves of airy ciabatta slathered with Dijon mustard. Crisp up in a panini press. Cuban Pork Sandwiches.
- for the shredded pork
- 1 (4 pound) boneless pork butt or Boston butt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- olive oil
- 1 cup orange juice
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken stock
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- for the sandwiches
- 2 loaves of ciabatta bread ~ about 18 inches long each
- 3 to 4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 16 slices of deli ham
- 12 slices of Swiss cheese
- 20 to 30 dill pickle chips
- Cut the pork butt into 4 to 6 pieces.
- In a small bowl, combine the cumin, smoked paprika, chipotle powder, garlic powder, kosher salt, and pepper. Rub the spice mixture on the pieces of pork butt.
- Turn the Instant Pot to the Sauté setting. When the pot is hot add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the seasoned pork. Sear on all sides until golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the pork from the pot.
- Add the orange juice, lime juice, chicken stock, and onion to the Instant Pot and scrape up any browned bits.
- Add the seared pork back to the pot. Seal the lid and make sure the vent is set to the sealed position. Cook on High Pressure for 60 minutes.
- When the cooking time is done, let the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes. Then quick release the steam.
- Remove the pork from the pot and shred. Set aside.
- Pour the cooking liquid into a glass 4 cup measure and set aside. Skim the fat off the top of the liquid.
- To assemble the sandwiches, slice each ciabatta loaf horizontally and place on a cutting board.
- Slather each side bread with about 1 tablespoon of mustard.
- Layer half the pork, ham and cheese on the bottom half of each loaf of bread.
- Evenly divide the pickles on top the the meats and cheese.
- Place the tops on the loaves and press down firmly. Cut each loaf into 3 (6~inch) sandwiches.
- Heat a panini press to High. Drizzle each side of the sandwiches with olive oil and place on the press. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes until hot and the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the press and cut in half diagonally.
- Serve with the pork cooking liquid as a dipping au jus ~ reheat if necessary.
- The easiest way to make pulled pork is in an Instant Pot. Be sure to sear the pork butt (aka Boston butt) to add extra flavor to the meat. The pork can be made in advance. Just shred and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- I like an airy loaf of ciabatta bread for making the sandwiches. Some good substitutes are French or Italian loaves or sturdy 6-inch rolls.
- Using a panini press to heat the sandwiches adds a crispy crust. The Cuban pork sandwiches can also be served without heating them.
- I can make press 2 of these BIG sandwiches at a time. Keep the pressed sandwiches warm in a 300 degree F oven on a baking sheet covered with foil. Then serve them all at once.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 75 minutes
- Category: entree sandwich
- Method: Instant pot and panini press
- Cuisine: Cuban
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 631
- Sugar: 25.3 g
- Sodium: 2320 mg
- Fat: 31 g
- Saturated Fat: 11.6 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 45.4 g
- Fiber: 2.5 g
- Protein: 45.1 g
- Cholesterol: 159 mg
Keywords: Cubano, Cuban pork sandwich, dinner ideas, picnic, sandwich recipes, pulled pork