Start the day with these delicious Streusel Coffee Cake Muffins. The buttery pound cake like muffins are topped with a crumbly cinnamon streusel. Once you make a batch of these bakery style muffins, you will never purchase store bought ones again. These are the BEST muffins!
for the muffins ~
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup salted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
for the streusel ~
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the flour, kosher salt, and baking soda for the muffins. Set aside.
- Make the muffins ~ In a large bowl using either a stand mixer or a hand mixer, beat the salted butter and granulated sugar for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the eggs 1 at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add the sour cream and vanilla extract and beat for 1 minute.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the butter sugar mixture. Mix until just combined. Set aside.
- Make the streusel ~ In a medium sized bowl, combine the streusel ingredients. Stir until well combined and crumbly pieces are formed. Set aside.
- Divide the muffin batter evenly in the prepared muffin pan using a large cookie scoop. Top each muffin with a generous amount of the streusel and press down slightly. If desired, top muffins with 4 to 5 blueberries.
- Bake for 17 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the muffins.
- Remove the muffins from the oven. Cool 5 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar.
- Room temperature ~ Let the refrigerated ingredients come to room temperature and they will mix more smoothly.
- Don’t overmix ~ After adding the dry ingredients to the wet ones, just mix until combined. Overmixing will result in tough coffee cake muffins.
- Easy scooping ~ To easily portion the muffin batter, use this large cookie scoop.
- Add berries ~ To add a pop of fresh flavor, tuck a few blueberries in with the streusel.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake in oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 346
- Sugar: 21.3 g
- Sodium: 335 mg
- Fat: 16.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 10.1 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 45.6 g
- Fiber: 0.9 g
- Protein: 4.7 g
- Cholesterol: 71 mg
Keywords: cake muffins, coffee cake muffins, pound cake muffins, baked good