Pieces of boneless and skinless chicken thighs are marinated in a flavorful sauce of honey, hard cider and spicy Dijon mustard and threaded on wooden skewers. They can be grilled or baked. Serve with a delicious Sweet Mustard dipping sauce. Serves 60 as entree or 20 as appetizer.
- For the chicken skewers
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3/4 cup hard cider or apple cider
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 to 10 boneless and skinless chicken thighs cut in 1-inch pieces
- For the dipping sauce
- ½ cup Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Bamboo skewers soaked in water for 30 minutes before using
- In a 2 cup mason jar, combine the 1/2 cup honey, hard cider or apple cider, Worcestershire sauce, 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, smoked paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, kosher salt and pepper. Tightly screw on the lid and give the marinade a good shake.
- In a large resealable bag, add 1/2 of the marinade and the chicken pieces. Seal the bag. Squish the chicken with the marinade so it is completely covered with the sauce.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.
- Cover and refrigerate the remaining marinade.
- Preheat grill or grill pan to medium high heat.
- Thread about 5 pieces of chicken on each of 12 skewers for an entree or 3 pieces of chicken on each of 20 skewers for an appetizer.
- Place the reserved marinade in a small saucepan over medium high heat and bring to a boil. Continue boiling for 5 to 8 minutes or until it is reduced by one-half.
- Grill the chicken for about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- After the first turn, baste with the reduced sauce. Continue grilling, turning and basting for a total of 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine the 1/2 cup Dijon mustard, 3 tablespoons honey, and 1/2 cup sour cream for the dipping sauce. Set aside.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and place on a platter. Sprinkle with parsley and serve along with the Sweet Mustard Dipping Sauce.
As an alternative to grilling, the chicken can be baked in a 400 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes. I like to place the chicken under the broiler for the last couple minutes to add a slight char.
- Category: entree or appetizer
- Method: Grill or oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2 entree skewers
- Calories: 507
- Sugar: 17.3 g
- Sodium: 519 mg
- Fat: 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.2 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 18.3 g
- Fiber: 0.6 g
- Protein: 34 g
- Cholesterol: 307 mg
Keywords: recipe for chicken skewers, honey chicken skewers, grilled chicken skewers