Tortillas are layered with shredded chicken, corn, black beans and cheddar cheese for a delicious and fun to eat appetizer or light dinner.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil plus more for brushing tortillas
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 small jalapeno, diced
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup cooked and diced chicken
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 flour tortillas (6 inches each)
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons cilantro plus more for serving
- Sour cream, Pico de Gallo, avocado, lime wedges for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Heat a large sauté pan to medium high heat and add olive oil. When the oil just begins to shimmer, add the onion and jalapeno. Sauté for 3 to 4 minutes or until the onions are softened.
- Add the corn, tomato, cumin, smoked paprika, and salt and continue to sauté for an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken, black beans and cilantro and continue cooking until heated through. Remove from heat.
- Place 2 tortillas in a large baking sheet. Brush the tortillas with olive oil. Top each tortilla with about 2 tablespoons of the shredded cheese, about 3/4 cup of the chicken and black bean mixture and a heaping 1/4 cup of the shredded cheese.
- Continue with 2 more layers of tortilla, the shredded cheese, chicken and black bean mixture and more of the shredded cheese.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the tortilla stacks are heated through.
- Remove the tortilla stacks from the oven and place on a large cutting board. Cut each tortilla stack into 4 wedges. Sprinkle with more cilantro and serve with sour cream, Pico de Gallo, diced avocado, and lime wedges.
- I poach and chop a chicken breast for the recipe. You can also use leftover or rotisserie chicken. Cooked turkey, steak or pork or ground turkey, chicken or beef are delicious too. If your leftover/cooked meat isn’t in bite-sized pieces, just chop it into smaller chunks.
- I always taste a tiny bit of the jalapeno before adding it to the recipe. Some are super spicy. To temper the heat of the pepper, remove the seeds and inner ribs to dull the spiciness.
- Make the tortilla stacks vegetarian by substituting 1 cup of your favorite vegetables for the chicken. Just add them when sauteing the corn and tomatoes.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: appetizer, entrée
- Method: cook on stove top and bake in oven
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 2 wedges
- Calories: 532
- Sugar: 4.4 g
- Sodium: 1543 mg
- Fat: 27.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 13 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 41.8 g
- Fiber: 5.9 g
- Protein: 31.2 g
- Cholesterol: 89 mg
Keywords: tortilla stacks, taco tower, taco night ideas, easy dinner recipes, Taco Tuesday