This easy to make blueberry muffin cake recipe will be one you make over and over again. It’s a moist coffee cake loaded with fresh blueberries and topped with a delicious crumble and a generous drizzle of icing.
for the cake
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup salted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
for the topping
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, melted and cooled
- pinch of kosher salt
for the icing
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 – 2 tablespoons water, milk or lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 x 8 inch baking pan generously with butter. Set aside.
- For the cake, in a large bowl whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and kosher salt. Stir in the blueberries. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add the eggs and sour cream. Mix until well combined. Stir in the buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir to just combine.
- Spread the cake batter into the prepared pan. Set aside.
- For the topping, combine the flour, sugar, melted butter and pinch of kosher salt. Stir until large crumbles are formed.
- Evenly sprinkle the crumb topping over the batter. Press down lightly.
- Bake the cake for 50 to 55 minutes. The cake should bounce back when touched in the center, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Completely cool the cake before adding the icing.
- For the icing, combine the powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon of water to form a glaze. Add another tablespoon of water if it is too thick. Drizzle the icing over the cooled cake.
- Cut into pieces and serve.
Don’t overmix the cake batter as it results in a tough and dense cake. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until they are just combined.
The best pan for baking is a metal pan as it conducts the heat evenly.
Gently press the crumb topping into the cake batter. It will stick to the baked cake when it is cut into pieces.
For a pretty and delicious drizzle, completely cool the cake before adding the icing.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake in oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 515
- Sugar: 51. g
- Sodium: 493 mg
- Fat: 19.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 11.9 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 80.2 g
- Fiber: 1.7 g
- Protein: 6.7 g
- Cholesterol: 89 mg
Keywords: blueberry muffin cake recipe, blueberry cake, blueberry breakfast cake