They are a cross between custardy French toast and a fluffy stack of pancakes that are dotted with plump and juicy blueberries.
- 8 slices of cinnamon swirl bread cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 ¼ cups whole milk
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 4 tablespoons melted butter (plus extra for cooking and serving)
- 1 ½ cup fresh blueberries
- Warm maple syrup for serving
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Place the cubed bread in a large bowl. Add milk and stir to coat all cubes. Let sit for about 10 minutes until bread gets slightly mushy. Stir again. The bread cubes should begin to lose their shape.
- Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, flour, baking powder, salt, eggs, and melted butter. Gently stir until just combined. Let the batter rest for 5 minutes before cooking the pancakes.
- Heat a griddle or large sauté pan over medium low heat and add about 2 teaspoons of butter.
- Ladle about 1/2 cup of the batter for each pancake onto the hot griddle. Gently spread the batter out to form about a 5-inch circle. Dot each pancake with some of the blueberries.
- Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes watching carefully so the pancakes don’t burn. Flip and continue cooking for about another 2 minutes. The centers of the pancakes will be moist but cooked.
- If the pancakes are browning too much before the center it cooked, turn the heat to medium low.
- Remove pancakes to an ovenproof platter and place in the oven. Continue cooking the remaining pancakes adding more butter as needed.
- Serve with warm maple syrup and butter.
Make the pancake batter the night before you plan to serve them. Just let the batter sit out of the refrigerator about 15 minutes before cooking them. This will take the chill off the batter and the pancakes will puff up beautifully.
- Category: entree
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2 - 3 large pancakes
- Calories: 516
- Sugar: 20 g
- Sodium: 693 mg
- Fat: 20.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 9.9 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 71.6 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 15.1 g
- Cholesterol: 124 mg
Keywords: homemade pancake recipe, pancake recipe easy, blueberry pancakes, breakfast, brunch ideas