BLT Bites are mini bacon, lettuce and tomato nibbles with a dill mayonnaise. Using the oven to bake the bacon is an easy hands off cooking method. Prep all the ingredients at once to make assembling the BLT Bites a breeze.
- 1 pound thick cut bacon ~ about 10 to 12 slices depending in their size
- 8 to 9 slices of sandwich bread ~ white, wheat or multigrain
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 to 8 small tomatoes (such as plum or Campari)
- 1 head of Boston Bibb lettuce
- sturdy toothpicks
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut each slice of bacon into about 2 1/2 inch pieces. You will need about 32 pieces of bacon. There will be some extra pieces of bacon to account for any waste and snacking. Place bacon pieces on a large baking sheet. Bake for about 20 to 22 minutes. Watch the bacon closely towards the end of the baking time. The bacon should be just cooked but, still slightly soft. Remove the bacon from the oven to a paper towel lined plate. The bacon will crisp up a little more while it cools.
- Cut 2-inch rounds out of each slice of bread using a biscuit cutter or glass. There should be about 30 to 32 rounds. Place the bread rounds on a baking sheet. Toast in the oven at 400 degree F for 3 to 5 minutes. You want bread to just be crisp with a little give when touched lightly. Remove from oven and set aside. The bread rounds can toast in the oven at the same time the bacon is cooking.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, dill, onion powder, and garlic powder. Set aside.
- Slice the tomatoes into about ½ inch slices and lay on a paper towel. You will need about 30 to 32 slices. Set aside.
- Tear the lettuce leaves into about 2 inch by 2 inch pieces. You will need about 30 to 32 pieces of lettuce. Set aside.
- To assemble the BLT Bites, spread about ½ teaspoon of the dill mayonnaise on one side of a bread round. Skewer the round on a toothpick with the mayonnaise side up. Slide a piece of the lettuce, a slice of tomato and a piece of bacon on the toothpick. Place on a large serving platter. Continue assembling the remainder of the BLT Bites in the same way.
- The BLT Bites can be made up to 30 minutes in advance. Store covered in the refrigerator until served.
- Thick cut bacon is ideal for making BLT Bites. It is more sturdy than regular cut bacon and perfect for skewering on toothpicks.
- Oven fry the bacon until just cooked through. The bacon needs a little give to easily be added to the toothpicks. If the bacon is overcooked, it will crumble when poked with the toothpicks.
- Tomatoes are naturally watery. To avoid messy appetizers, drain the sliced tomatoes on a couple sheets of paper towels to absorb the extra liquid.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 85
- Sugar: 1.2 g
- Sodium: 137 mg
- Fat: 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.1 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 3.7 g
- Fiber: .5 g
- Protein: 2.4 g
- Cholesterol: 10 mg
Keywords: blt, bacon lettuce and tomato, appetizers