This crunchy red, white and blue salad is a festive addition to any menu. Apple, Fennel, and Radish Slaw with Pecans and Blue Cheese is a refreshing side dish to take to a picnic, barbecue, or potluck.
- ½ lemon
- 1 medium apple quartered and thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 fennel bulb quartered and thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 2 celery stalks thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 4 radishes cut in half and thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fennel fronds
- Fill a bowl with cold water and add the juice of the ½ lemon and the sliced apples. Set aside while the remainder of the salad is prepared.
- In a large bowl, combine the fennel, celery, radishes, blueberries, pecans, and blue cheese. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Drain the apples and add to the large bowl with the other fruits and vegetables.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad and toss to coat. Sprinkle the chopped fennel fronds on top of the salad.
- Serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator for up to 6 hours.
- Pick the freshest available fruits and vegetables for the tastiest apple fennel slaw.
- Thinly slice the apple, fennel, celery, and radishes in matchsticks. This makes for the prettiest slaw that has lots of crunch.
- To toast the pecans, heat a small skillet over medium low heat. Add the nuts (nothing else is needed as they contain natural oils) and toast for 5 to 6 minutes. Shake the skillet occasionally so the nuts evenly brown and do not burn.
- Gorgonzola, goat cheese, Parmesan, or sharp cheddar are good substitutes for the blue cheese.
- Serve the apple fennel slaw can be immediately after it is prepared. Or refrigerate the crunchy salad for up to 6 hours.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: no cooking required
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 220
- Sugar: 8.2 g
- Sodium: 392 mg
- Fat: 17.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.8 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 14.7 g
- Fiber: 4.1 g
- Protein: 4.3 g
- Cholesterol: 8 mg
Keywords: apple fennel slaw, slaw, salad, side dish, summer salad