|Slow Cooker Laquered Honey Ginger Chicken || ||
Recipe type: entree
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 4 hours 15 mins
Total time: 4 hours 30 mins
- Olive oil
- 8 chicken thighs, bone-in and skinless, about 3 – 3 ½ pounds
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1-inch piece of ginger root, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons corn starch
- Sesame seeds
- Thinly sliced scallions
- Hot cooked jasmine rice
- Heat a large sauté pan to medium high heat and drizzle with a couple teaspoons of olive oil. Add half of the chicken thighs making sure not to crowd the pan. Brown for 4 – 5 minutes and then flip over and brown for 3 – 4 more minutes. Remove from pan and place in the slow cooker. Repeat with the remaining chicken thighs and add them to the slow cooker after they have been browned.
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger root, and red pepper flakes on top of the chicken in the slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the honey, soy sauce, sesame oil, ketchup, and hoisin sauce. Pour over chicken. Cover the slow cooker and set for 4 hours on LOW.
- Remove chicken from the slow cooker and place on a large plate. Cover with foil. In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch with ¼ cup water. Stir into the sauce in the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and sprinkle with the sesame seeds and scallions. Serve with hot rice.
Recipe by Amy Casey © amycaseycooks - 2013 www.amycaseycooks.com
Recipe by Amy Casey at http://amycaseycooks.com/slow-cooker-laquered-honey-ginger-chicken/